Fixed: Error 150:30 (Adobe CS4 licensing problem) – MAC

by Linus Neumann on December 26, 2009

The following script will solve the often and randomly occuring problem with Adobe CS4 Mac “licensing for this product has stopped working… Error:150:30

If this solves your problem (it will!) consider leaving a nice comment.
Maybe you even want to

Copy and paste this to, enter your user password when prompted and follow the instructions on the screen. During this process, as ~40MB Liscense recovery file provided by Adobe will be downloaded, executed and deleted afterwards. Make sure to view and agree with the license agreement for this piece of code before you run the script (chances are it will fail otherwise).

if [ "$(grep -o /etc/hosts)" = "" ];
then echo "/etc/hosts is already modified"
echo "" >> /etc/hosts
echo "/etc/hosts was successfully modified"
sudo rm -rf "/Library/Application Support/adobe/adobe PCD/cache/cache.db"
sudo rm -rf "/Library/Preferences/FLEXnet Publisher"
say "Now, please wait for the download to finish."
curl -o LicenseRecovery111.dmg
sudo hdiutil attach LicenseRecovery111.dmg
sudo python '/Volumes/LicenseRecovery 11.6.1/LicenseRecovery/'
sudo rm -rf ~/AdobeLicensingFilesBackup
sudo hdiutil detach "/Volumes/LicenseRecovery 11.6.1"
sudo rm LicenseRecovery111.dmg
say "Done! now start CS4 and enter your serial"
exit 0

This will perfom the steps suggested by Erik’s Brain and Jake’s Computer Blog. After completing these steps, you will need to re-enter your serial number, and CS4 will work again.

Be aware that this is not a crack! You will need a valid serial number.

If this doesn’t work for you:

• let me know
  • check if Adobe’s Liscense Recovery tool was updated to a version other than 11.6.1 and  if so, modify this script accordingly, then let me know
  • check if you are using a Mac and if not, follow the advice given here.
  • remember that this is not a crack, you will need a valid serial number

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This worked amazing!!!!!!!!!!

by Ignacio on February 3, 2010 at 8:06 pm. Reply #

Hey, you’re welcome.
I just enjoyed having a closer look at your nice Website!

I get about 100 hits per day for this post, but you are the fist one to comment. Would be nice to hear from others, if there are any problems. IF.
(And if not: I always appreciate the gddmm common courtesy Ignacio showed here…)

Oh, I forgot to mention in the post: As this uses sudo, you will be prompted for your user password.

by Linus Neumann on February 10, 2010 at 8:35 pm. Reply #

Adobe couldnt fix this problem, thank you very much. it worked!

by Oktay on March 7, 2010 at 10:44 pm. Reply #

You’re welcome!

by Linus Neumann on March 7, 2010 at 11:11 pm. Reply #

This worked perfectly for me, thank you!

by Miguel Pereira on April 8, 2010 at 9:22 pm. Reply #

THANKS! Linus It Worked !!!!! Now I can get back to work.

by Jon Goertz on May 23, 2010 at 6:34 am. Reply #

it works perfectly,thanks alot

by fast on July 4, 2010 at 6:59 pm. Reply #

it works perfectly!

by mayito on September 17, 2010 at 3:11 am. Reply #

thanks man i tried a lot i think idid uninstall adobe at least 6-7 times and tried additionally other stuff out of other forums….
you rescued me, working on my portfolio for a deadline being desperately in need for cs4 to work again!!

by christoph on November 22, 2010 at 1:26 am. Reply #

This worked pretty cool Thanks a million!

by ben on June 18, 2011 at 6:17 am. Reply #

Hello! Just wanted to say: THANK YOU! This worked out just fine!
Hav a good one!

by Y on September 14, 2011 at 3:56 pm. Reply #

thanks. amazed that this fix is still necessary. get with it adobe!

by tom on November 19, 2011 at 5:03 pm. Reply #

Thanks so much for this, allowed me to fix Photoshop after doing a restore from a Time Machine backup! I could not get Adobe’s instructions here:

working as they gave me a Terminal error. So *many* thanks to you for your help.

by Tolga on December 16, 2011 at 4:44 am. Reply #

Hi, I came across your website and my problem was solved very easily. Thanks a lot!

by Kees Boelhouwer on April 15, 2012 at 1:08 pm. Reply #

I’ve waste hours with wrong solutions for this problem – Millions of Thanks for yours – it works perfect !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Cekay on June 6, 2012 at 11:40 am. Reply #

Still works! Mac OS X 10.7.5 and CS4 licensing problem (Error 150:30) and PowerPC/Rosetta launch preference issue solved. I found your site after many frustrating hours with Adobe and Apple forums and was able to gain access to all my CS4 applications again with your script. Many thanks.

by asmithky on October 16, 2012 at 2:40 am. Reply #

Thank you, saved me a ton of time!

by Tom Alderman on November 18, 2012 at 7:05 pm. Reply #

Fantastic, was stuck on this one, but this solved it instantly. Great help!

by Nick Fuse on November 24, 2012 at 6:14 pm. Reply #

Perfect…Adobe should hire you so you can fix there complex solution posted on their site. The world needs more of you!

by Brendan VC on November 25, 2012 at 10:12 pm. Reply #

Thank so much. Adobe was completely unhelpful on this. Couldn’t find anything online that worked… until now! A total lifesaver.

by HHWood on December 14, 2012 at 10:34 pm. Reply #

Thanks a bunch!!! I wasted hours trying to solve this through the adobe site and your fix worked first try. Can’t thank you enough!

by Chris on December 28, 2012 at 3:51 am. Reply #

Brilliant! Worked perfectly. I learned a ton from your script. Definitely gonna save this one as a great example of some cool cmds for future reference.

by Jon W. on January 10, 2013 at 11:30 pm. Reply #

This worked perfectly! It took me less than 10 minutes and all of my expensive applications (Adobe creative suite 4) are running again.
Thanks a lot,

by Eric on January 11, 2013 at 8:56 pm. Reply #

Thank you – Absolutely amazing. Really appreciate it.

by Andrew on February 9, 2013 at 1:37 pm. Reply #

MY SAVIOR… great job

by Ward on February 26, 2013 at 6:16 am. Reply #

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :))))

by CGC on March 14, 2013 at 2:49 am. Reply #

Works fine! Resets Regitration.

by Patt on April 4, 2013 at 11:36 pm. Reply #

I encountered the error after we had our iMac hard drives swapped out by Apple this weekend. Restored the “image” using Time Machine then launched PS CS4 but it resulted in the 150:30 licensing error. Chatted with Adobe support, but the weekend team was unable to help.

This fix worked great and helped reset the registration, thank you!!! 🙂

by alim on April 7, 2013 at 5:23 pm. Reply #

You just saved me a lot of trouble. Thank you!

by David on April 17, 2013 at 9:43 am. Reply #

Thank you! The Adobe instructions seem to be old and do not work, at least on Mountain Lion.

by markM on June 11, 2013 at 11:27 pm. Reply #

THANKS SO MUCH! I had a project I needed to do for my new boss and after 3 days of fighting with installers and licenses, this was the final piece to the puzzle that I needed in order to get this to work.

by Jenni on June 12, 2013 at 10:03 pm. Reply #

An oldie but a goodie. I just used this to fix CS4 Design Premium after using a Time Machine backup to a brand new Macbook Pro running Mountain Lion and it worked flawlessly! Wish I had done this a few hours ago—don’t waste time with trying to go to Adobe for help.

by j796r87 on June 18, 2013 at 7:53 pm. Reply #

Installed an SSD on my MacBookPro, had to restore from a Time Machine backup due to some problems. Used this script to resolve the CS4 licensing error 150:30. Worked great! However, my Acrobat Pro 9 will not accept the serial number. Any suggestions?

by Denise on June 28, 2013 at 2:24 pm. Reply #

Awesome! I first tried to just past the entire code into the terminal, but that didn’t work. I think pasted each line separately and pressed enter and bingo! My Adobe CS4 and Dreamweaver CS4 are accessable again. Thanks so much!!!

by Fred Burks on July 4, 2013 at 11:09 am. Reply #

WORKS GREAT!! Ich glaub du bist auch Deutscher oder? 😉

Dank dir =) Hat mir ne Menge Arbeit erspart

by Sebastian on July 12, 2013 at 11:41 am. Reply #

It worked! I love you!!!!!

by Mario on August 12, 2013 at 9:46 pm. Reply #

Yaaaayyyy!!! Thank you!

by Leah on September 3, 2013 at 2:27 pm. Reply #

After my older version Macbook was stolen, I had to restore all of my data/applications onto a new Macbook pro retina. The Adobe software was giving me this error message, and I was unable to re-install the software without a disk drive. This fix worked perfectly. It’s a shame that Adobe doesn’t have better support on their webpage. Thank you so much for posting this 🙂

by Leah on September 3, 2013 at 2:32 pm. Reply #

2hrs. of scouring the internet, a half-dozen attempts at fixing via Terminal, and this one finally worked. Many thanks.
CS4 / Macbook Pro (retina) / 10.8.4

by Doug on September 23, 2013 at 10:24 pm. Reply #

THANK YOU!!! Just replaced a bad hard drive on early 2008 Macbook Pro and used Time Machine to restore. CS4 had given me Licensing error 150:30. It took me a few tries because Adobe’s licensing dmg was confusing and I am not so familiar with using Terminal App.
I had to run the “sudo python ” command first. This helped me:
a. Double-click the LicenseRecovery111.dmg
Note: Leave this window open and proceed to the next step.
b. open Terminal App.
c. Type “sudo python “
Note: There is a space following “python”. Do not press Return.
d. Drag from the LicenseRecovery111.dmg window onto the Terminal Window and press Return. Note: Make sure that the Terminal window has the command and the path to the APP file. For example: “sudo python /Volumes/LicenseRecovery\ 11.6.1/LicenseRecovery/”
e. Enter your administrator user name and password when prompted and click OK.
f. Follow the onscreen instructions.

At this point I pasted the above script and IT WORKED!!!
Also, being unfamilar with Terminal, I didn’t realize that the cursor doesn’t flash when asking for my password.

Thanks again for this fix!

by Julie Frame on November 26, 2013 at 10:56 pm. Reply #

Thank you so much this helped me get cs4 suite back up and running after purchasing a new imac. Very easy to use terminal command!

by Gino Andreozzi on December 7, 2013 at 6:08 am. Reply #

Thank you very very much!!! I was completly lost, because recovering my OSX reactivated the licence of my DW CS4 which I still need for some older projects. Adobe didn’t help me, you did. Amazing job! Danke vielmals! 🙂

by André Bender on January 31, 2014 at 9:15 am. Reply #

Thanks very much, it worked for me twice (once when my hard drive was wiped, the second when re-installing Photoshop on a new computer. Very easy to use

by Mary Madigan on February 2, 2014 at 10:36 pm. Reply #

THANK YOU! Gracias! Prego!

by Edda Gonzalez on February 19, 2014 at 4:14 am. Reply #

I am not getting the error code now but when I try and open CS 4 I cannot get past the accept licence screen ?

by George on February 19, 2014 at 8:06 pm. Reply #

This worked perfectly! Thank you very much!

by Marcy on February 28, 2014 at 12:05 am. Reply #

Wow. Amazing! I have been attempting to fix this for days and none of the solutions worked except for this one! Thank you Linus!

by Paul on March 13, 2014 at 11:23 pm. Reply #

Great. Still works on new iMac with 10.9.2.

by Larry on March 14, 2014 at 4:38 am. Reply #

Thank you so much !

My Photoshop CS4 work again properly ! I can finally finish my illustration and continue to work for my client !

Thanks ! 😮

I will share this with my friends if they have the same problem one day.

by Tiphereth on March 17, 2014 at 4:38 pm. Reply #

This worked as described. Very helpful. Thanks!

by Christoph on March 17, 2014 at 9:27 pm. Reply #

Oh man, thank you so much, you made my day and saved me so much time!!

by Max Osterhaus on March 22, 2014 at 7:40 pm. Reply #

Thank you. It fixed the problem under the latest version of OSX 10.9.3. Now I just need to find my serial number!

by Peter on June 20, 2014 at 3:13 pm. Reply #

I have tried about 15 different trouble shooting tips & suggestions on various formus including adobe and mac, to no avail….FINALLY found something that worked. THIS. THANK YOU!!

by Jynn on July 2, 2014 at 1:29 am. Reply #

Thank you so much it’s working !!!
You are the best ;-)))

by karim on July 14, 2014 at 12:36 pm. Reply #

This fixed my issue on the first try!

by Dan on July 27, 2014 at 7:09 pm. Reply #

The Adobe support/forum instructions for fixing the CS4 license error on 10.9.4 Mavericks did not work, but this did! I’m so glad I found it … thank you SO much! (And thank you for typing out exactly what to paste into Terminal!)

by Merry on August 10, 2014 at 6:07 pm. Reply #

by Bernie Maopolski on August 13, 2014 at 9:56 pm. Reply #

Great solution… Thanks so much for posting it.

by Mike on August 22, 2014 at 5:31 am. Reply #

perfect!!! it worked. thanks a lot.

by laura on August 26, 2014 at 4:18 pm. Reply #

Worked perfectly! Thank you so much.

by Stefanie on September 15, 2014 at 7:08 pm. Reply #

genius. Just spent and hour online with Adobe chat. No help. no clear instructions. Bitches just want you to upgrade. Thanks!!!!

by m on October 8, 2014 at 6:37 am. Reply #

bump for merry. having something to paste for us luddites makes the world a better place. Props to Linus!

by m on October 8, 2014 at 6:38 am. Reply #

This script did the thing for my issues. Thanks!!

by George March on October 25, 2014 at 8:01 pm. Reply #

briliant, I feared a long and complex reinstall.
Your expertise much appreciated

by Andrew on November 8, 2014 at 7:43 pm. Reply #

Wow. I have been struggling with this for SO long after restoring my mac from a time machine backup (my hard drive crashed and had to be replaced). I had tried everything I could find online and had almost given up when I found your solution. THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! This worked PERFECTLY. Quick and easy. Thank you so much!!!

by Jessica on November 9, 2014 at 3:43 pm. Reply #

Awesome, Thanks worked first time.

by Simon on November 12, 2014 at 8:34 pm. Reply #

Worked perfectly!

by Anita on December 6, 2014 at 9:23 am. Reply #

Excellent post, it works beautifully. Thank you Thank you Thank you.

by Bryan on December 10, 2014 at 9:27 pm. Reply #

Still didn’t work 🙁
I get the message: The serial number you entered is not valid. Click OK to retry entering the serial number.
What i did: i copied the serial number from the official mail from Adobe! Getting hopeless here…

by Stefanie on December 14, 2014 at 9:59 pm. Reply #

Worked like magic! None of the many other so-called “solutions” available through web searches had done it for me. Many thanks.

by billinrio on December 30, 2014 at 4:47 pm. Reply #

Thank you very much for your work. I add my accolades to the above—worked perfectly!!!

by Michael on December 31, 2014 at 11:45 pm. Reply #

Does this work for CS3 on Mac OS X 10.6.8

by Randy Dalby on January 10, 2015 at 7:34 pm. Reply #

Saved me hours! Thank You!

by Wolfgang Reiserer on February 16, 2015 at 4:04 pm. Reply #

WoW !! It’s just fixed for me too. i follow the steps carefully and it worked for me. Actually this is for my office mac we have all the version of adobe application so after we run this above method we had to enter the serial number again for the Adobe CS4, Adobe CS5, Adobe CS5.5 and Adobe CS6. All again i entered.
So my suggession is if any want to apple the above solution. please keep all the orignal serial number with you and then run the tool.
All the best !!
Once again thanks guys…

Huzefa M Sultan

by Huzefa M Sultan on April 7, 2015 at 11:56 am. Reply #

excellent, I think I am becoming an it wizard

by thelma on May 12, 2015 at 9:32 pm. Reply #

This fixed my problem. Thank you so much! I spent WEEKS searching for the solution to this…weeks!!! 5 minutes on your site gave me a working form of my favorite version of photoshop that I wouldn’t trade for anything. I was so upset when I found that it wouldn’t work on my new macbook which had Mavericks installed. I even made a trip to the Mac store and asked them to help me, only to be given the answer that it couldn’t be installed be it was incompatible. Never say never and never give up! PSE 6 on Mavericks lives afterall.

by Nicole on May 14, 2015 at 1:22 am. Reply #

Thank you very much! Worked perfectly!

by Peter Felperin on August 23, 2015 at 4:40 pm. Reply #

Thanks so Much! After updating my OS and some apps CS4 stopped working. Spent days trying to reboot and tried every other solution for this under the sun, nothing worked.
This just made my day!
Thanks Again!

by Joseph Burch on October 6, 2015 at 11:09 pm. Reply #

Thanks! It worked very well. 🙂

by Annika on November 1, 2015 at 12:03 am. Reply #

Wow…. nothing else worked. Thank you.

by Christopher on December 3, 2015 at 8:02 pm. Reply #

You made my day! Fantastic! Thx from Germany.

by Susann on April 9, 2016 at 2:57 pm. Reply #

Thank you so much. I can use my CS4 again!!!

by Malik on May 6, 2016 at 12:48 am. Reply #

I tried the official adobe tutorial and had no luck. This worked perfectly. Thank you

by Justin on June 17, 2016 at 8:25 am. Reply #

This worked! Nothing else worked at all and I tried at least 6 different ways with Terminal from different sites, including Adobe. Now if I could only find my serial number, it’s been too many years.

by spookie on August 31, 2016 at 9:58 pm. Reply #

I’ve tried everything else and nothing worked. But this works! What a life, or JOB, saver!

Thank you!

by Sam on September 13, 2016 at 9:19 pm. Reply #

Sorry for my English.

This works under OS X 10.11.6
Thanks again

by Pascal on January 6, 2017 at 4:35 pm. Reply #

Bonjour, je vous remercie de m’avoir aidé à résoudre ce problème. Votre solution marche en un tour de main! Merci!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MAC OS X 10.10.5 CS4

by Olivier on February 6, 2017 at 9:13 pm. Reply #

You saved my day.
Workes like charm in OSX 10.11.6
thank you!

by Jörg on February 12, 2017 at 6:04 pm. Reply #

Many thanks for this – fantastic bit ofd advice that worked…

by Michael Hawtin on August 7, 2017 at 4:26 pm. Reply #

Upgraded to new Mac Mini after old one died. Rescued most but not all data. Had been running El Capitan, now on Sierra. Photoshop CS4 gave this error. Tried the script, didn’t work for me. Asked for a password after first sudo. I gave my admin password, didn’t work. Here’s the dialog:

Davids-Mac-mini:~ dminehart$ if [ “$(grep -o /etc/hosts)” = “” ];
> then echo “/etc/hosts is already modified”
> else
> echo “” >> /etc/hosts
> echo “/etc/hosts was successfully modified”
> fi
-bash: /etc/hosts: Permission denied
/etc/hosts was successfully modified
Davids-Mac-mini:~ dminehart$ sudo rm -rf “/Library/Application Support/adobe/adobe PCD/cache/cache.db”
Sorry, try again.